[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on Scan quality for blind vs other types of disabled bookshare readers

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:26:03 -0800 (PST)

I was under the impression that bookshare does
something to make the fonts standard, but Carrie, I
guess you'd know better than I, or could find out.

Basically I do what all of you do, except that I do
the title pages and cover and such first, using larger
fonts but never more than 36, because some of you said
quite some time ago that anything larger causes you
problems. Then I cut and save all those pages before
the text to a separate document so they won't get
changed, and I blacken the whole rest of the file and
set the font type and size; I had heard tha bookshare
uses Courier 10, so I do that or Courier 12, unless
the submitter has used something like Times or Times
Roman. I also set first line indentions to .2
Hopefully, by not using the space bar, the
indentations will not be deleted.

Then I put back the pages I've cut. I still have to
sometimes enlarge the Chapter titles or make them
bold, but that really probably isn't necessary if they
are spaced and capitalized--and if the first line of
the page is not supposed to be indented, I reset it
for flush left, but I don't suppose that is essential
either.

Oh--and when I set the font for the document I also
make the text flush left, since some people have said
it's much easier to read that way than if it's
justified.

How much of this is do-able for those of you who are
blind I don't know. And what bookshare does with our
stuff when they convert I don't know. It may be that
what I do isn't necessary, but I'm compulsive and
can't stop. smile

G.Cindy

at
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/