[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page numbers?

  • From: Megmil85@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 22:02:49 EDT

Yes, I agree, page numbers are definitely important. What do I do if there
are none at all already there? I'm proofreading Halloween Rain and there's
no  page numbers at all. The book information page listed it as having 171
but  Amazon.com says it should have 176. I proofread it with my BrailleNote,
all the  way through, and there were no missing or duplicated pages. When I
opened it in  Word to add page numbers, I found where the actual book
started and ended, so  excluded front matter and the book cover, and there were
164. So, what should I  do? How do I know where page numbers should be, where
page breaks are missing?  And, to put the page numbers in after I figure out
what page breaks are missing,  in, should I do it manually or what would
you suggest? I have OpenBook 7.0 and a  BrailleNote and was also wondering
about doing the insert page numbers with  Microsoft word but wasn't sure how
that'd work. Thanks! Sorry for all the newbe  questions.
Megan

In a message dated 6/1/2009 6:50:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi again Megan.
Actually, I've found that page numbers are very important in proofreading
a book.

I don't move them, if they are at the bottom I leave them at the bottom,
if they are at the top I leave them at the top. I think some folks prefer
them  at the top but that seems to me to be tampering with the book's original
content and I don't do it.

But, if page numbers are present you can tell whether or not a page has
been skipped or duplicated.

I use Kurzweil to do most of my editing. The first thing I do is  determine
where the real page 1 is: after all the front matter. Then I set  Kurzweil
to recognize this as page 1.  Then I go to the last page, at  least the last
page with a page number and see if Kurzweil has the same page  count. If
so, then you're lucky. If not that means there are missing pages or
duplicated pages. Sometimes someone will scan a book in two page mode. In that
case
there will be page numbers without corresponding page breaks. Usually  it's
two pages between page breaks. Then you have to go through and put a page
break where the new pages are. I hate doing that because it's grunt work and
can take a long time.

Anyway, you see why I consider page numbers important?

Bob