[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page numbers?

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 20:50:31 -0500

Hi again Megan.
Actually, I've found that page numbers are very important in proofreading a
book.

I don't move them, if they are at the bottom I leave them at the bottom, if
they are at the top I leave them at the top. I think some folks prefer them at
the top but that seems to me to be tampering with the book's original content
and I don't do it.

But, if page numbers are present you can tell whether or not a page has been
skipped or duplicated.

I use Kurzweil to do most of my editing. The first thing I do is determine
where the real page 1 is: after all the front matter. Then I set Kurzweil to
recognize this as page 1.  Then I go to the last page, at least the last page
with a page number and see if Kurzweil has the same page count. If so, then
you're lucky. If not that means there are missing pages or duplicated pages.
Sometimes someone will scan a book in two page mode. In that case there will be
page numbers without corresponding page breaks. Usually it's two pages between
page breaks. Then you have to go through and put a page break where the new
pages are. I hate doing that because it's grunt work and can take a long time.

Anyway, you see why I consider page numbers important?

Bob