[baisl] Re: Tutors in the Library

  • From: Cathy Rettberg <crettberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:53:09 -0700

We do have tutors, in the library and elsewhere. There is supposedly a
policy but no one enforces it which is truly annoying. It became an issue
last year when we had a tutor who would not leave when the library was
closing, so Security had to be present whenever that tutor was here, to
insist she leave. This year we have a couple of new tutors for 6th graders
(don't get me started) so I pushed for a formal policy along with
accountability, but again, no one wants to be the one responsible for the
accountability part. It means that Annette is here alone into the evening
with adults who are essentially strangers - I have a real problem with
that. I'm curious to know how others handle this.

Our written policy requires a teaching credential, fingerprinting, TB test,
low price or free tutoring in exchange for providing a place to work with
students. Tutors are given a copy of the policy but to date no one has
followed up with them. We get no advance notice - they just show up.

Cathy

Cathy Rettberg, Head Librarian
Menlo School
Atherton, CA
http://library.menloschool.org

What I'm reading:
*Brown Girl Dreaming/*Woodson

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Rachel Shaw <rshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hi BAISL Community,
>

> Many of our students utilize the services of private tutors. The tutors
> come to Bay and work with their client during the students’ free block
> during the school day. Sometimes I have 4 or 5 tutors in the library at one
> time. I wanted to find out from you all if this is a common scenario and
> what types of systems your school has in place to monitor this.
>

> -          Do tutors use your library space? How many? How often?
>
> -          Does your school have any type of policy related to tutors and
> school (or library) space?
>

> Thank you!
>

> Rachel
>

> [image: http://www.bayschoolsf.org/images/bayschool.jpg]