[baisl] Re: Tutors in the Library

  • From: Harrison Wilkes <wilkes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 11:10:42 -0700

We have private tutors who come after school and use our various learning
centers or available classrooms for tutoring, and some of our regular
classroom teachers (as well as our head librarian) offer tutoring services
as well. Since I host study hall for 5th-8th graders in the library every
afternoon from 3:30-5:00, the space is not used for tutoring, though it is
open for all student use during the day so long as usage doesn't interfere
with scheduled class time.

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Susan Bogas <sbogas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Dear Rachel,
>
> At Bentley we have many private tutors that come during the day.  They
> often work in the big room of the library where quiet talking is allowed.
> At times I do have to remind them to keep their voices down.  At other
> times I ask them to find another space on campus.  I would say that during
> the day there are at least 1-2 tutors most of the time on campus.
>
> Susan
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Rachel Shaw <rshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>  Hi BAISL Community,
>>

>> Many of our students utilize the services of private tutors. The tutors
>> come to Bay and work with their client during the students’ free block
>> during the school day. Sometimes I have 4 or 5 tutors in the library at one
>> time. I wanted to find out from you all if this is a common scenario and
>> what types of systems your school has in place to monitor this.
>>

>> -          Do tutors use your library space? How many? How often?
>>
>> -          Does your school have any type of policy related to tutors
>> and school (or library) space?
>>

>> Thank you!
>>

>> Rachel
>>

>> [image: http://www.bayschoolsf.org/images/bayschool.jpg]