[argyllcms] Re: White Point

  • From: Iliah Borg <iliah.i.borg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 16:33:10 -0500

Dear Richard,

We live now in a universe lit by spectral-impared light sources, light being
registered through spectrally challenged Bayer filters, and displayed on
spectrally deficient monitors. In this universe no "standard" observer fits.
They all are developed based on human perception. But let the agony continue :)

On Nov 9, 2015, at 12:42 PM, Richard Kirk wrote:

On 11/09/2015 05:36 PM, Hening Bettermann wrote:
On 09 Nov 2015, at 14:29h, Elle Stone <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This article has interesting take regarding the various color spaces:
http://colour-science.org/blog_about_rgb_colourspace_models_performance.php
Best,
Elle
Hi Elle,

thank you for chiming in. The article you link to is far above my head. All
I understand is that I see BetaRGB on top of a ΔE table. But maybe that's
also enough for a normal mortal ;-) ?

The paper is measuring the deltaE values against the CIE standard observer.
If they had put DCI XYZ in the table, it would have come out with a deltaE of
zero. This doesn't make it perfect. In fact, as the CIE 1931 standard
observer includes a factor that makes purple look like red+blue, you might be
better off matching using the CIE2015 LMS standard (better check the date, it
has been about to come out since 2007).

Cheers.
Richard Kirk

--