[argyllcms] Re: White Point

  • From: Hening Bettermann <hein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 02:15:16 +0200

--- My latest message is AT BOTTOM! ---

On 21 Sep 2015, at 01:33h, Elle Stone <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 09/20/2015 03:07 PM, Hening Bettermann wrote:
Hi!

I have created icc profiles with colprof and the CC Passport target. The
options used were -v -Zr -qh -aX -u. My understanding was that -u would
allow whites to be mapped outside the lightest patch of the target. But I
find that the target white patch is rendered as 100% white (255 in stead of
244). What am I missing?

Best regards - Hening

That target doesn't have very many patches, not enough, it seems to me, for a
LUT profile ("-qh -aX").

I wrote up some considerations about what kind of camera input profile to
make for various purposes (critiques are very welcome!):
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/camera-profiles-applied.html#lut-profiles-vs-matrix-profiles

Maybe try "-am", using the procedure in this article to fix the white point?
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/well-behaved-camera-profile.html

Best,
Elle
--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com
Color management and free/libre photography

Ooops, that mail slipped out too early... Here's another try

Hi Elle,

thank you for your response. - I have earlier used -am, but -aX gives better
Delta-E values. - Beyond that, it looks like I have a lot to study...

Best regards - Hening.