[argyllcms] Re: White Point

  • From: Elle Stone <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 13:23:54 -0500

On 11/09/2015 12:42 PM, Richard Kirk wrote:

On 11/09/2015 05:36 PM, Hening Bettermann wrote:
On 09 Nov 2015, at 14:29h, Elle Stone <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

This article has interesting take regarding the various color spaces:
http://colour-science.org/blog_about_rgb_colourspace_models_performance.php

Best,
Elle
Hi Elle,

thank you for chiming in. The article you link to is far above my
head. All I understand is that I see BetaRGB on top of a ΔE table. But
maybe that's also enough for a normal mortal ;-) ?

"Normal mortals" includes me - I had to read that article about a zillion times before the details started to make sense.

Also, the tests were done using linear RGB, not the gamma-encoded RGB that a lot of people use in ther digital darkrooms, and the primaries weren't adapted to D50, like you would use in an ICC workflow.

But it's interesting that BetaRGB, Ben Goren's recommended editing color space, comes out at the top of the list, and sRGB and ProPhotoRGB don't fair so well.

Best,
Elle