[argyllcms] Re: White Point

  • From: Elle Stone <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 08:29:10 -0500

On 11/09/2015 08:07 AM, Hening Bettermann wrote:

Wow, a whole primer in color theory! Real great that you take the time.

that's the basic intent of the software bundled with the Passport, as well as
lots of other profiling workflows. It's certainly what you want to do for art
reproduction,

That's also as I see it. In landscape, however, my intention at least is to
reproduce the color of the light that was, not to neutralise it.

I am a bit surprised that you recommend Beta-RGB as the working space. I
thought the ideal working space would be the camera-own profile? and next best
ProPhoto? But maybe your suggested reading will answer this question along the
line.

The well-behaved camera profile RGB working space - that you get when you follow my tutorial for making a camera input profile - has important uses such as retrieving channel information as captured by the camera and for bringing colors into gamut with respect to a chosen RGB working space. But I don't use my camera input profile color spaces for extended image editing - for one thing there are too many imaginary colors.

A linear gamma version of BetaRGB makes an excellent working space (you can easily make such using PhotoShop, at least you could with CS2). But the copyright on the BetaRGB color space seems a bit restrictive.

You could try a linear gamma version of the Rec.2020 color space (a Rec.2020 profile is included with ArgyllCMS), which is what I currently use for image editing, though I'm thinking about switching to using the ACEcg primaries.

This article has interesting take regarding the various color spaces:
http://colour-science.org/blog_about_rgb_colourspace_models_performance.php

Now I will try RPP and see if it can extract as much detail as Iridient. If so,
the surface shall not keep me back. If not, I will stay with Iridient, and at
the same time try to improve my profiles, even if they never will be as good as
Iliah's. It is not that I was visually dissatisfied with my profiles. But when
I read Elle's recipe, I saw that I might be able to improve them.

Good light, and best regards - Hening.

Best,
Elle