[argyllcms] Re: White Point

  • From: Hening Bettermann <hein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 21:19:21 +0200

On 21 Sep 2015, at 04:11h, Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sep 20, 2015, at 5:15 PM, Hening Bettermann <hein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have earlier used -am, but -aX gives better Delta-E values.

A close fit for a small number of samples generally doesn't mean all that
much. Indeed...unless you've got a *lot* of samples and an impeccable
workflow for generating them, you're almost always better off with a looser
fit. Especially over the part of the gamut that you can sample with
reflective charts, cameras are remarkably linear and well-behaved. Unless you
really know what you're doing anything other than -am -qm is going to give
worse results, because you're making the profile tightly fit the errors in
your workflow.

-ax -qh has its place...but I don't think I'd recommend it for anything
smaller than a few hundred spectrally diverse patches. I use it...for
synthetically-generated charts of tens of thousands of patches completely
covering the entire theoretically-possible set of reflective spectra. That's
where -ax -qh really shines.

But if you're making a profile from a commercially-available reflective
chart, -as -qm is your best bet.

b&

Hi Ben Goren,

thank you for your detailed reply. It is the first time I understand WHY I
should not use -qh and -aX.

Especially over the part of the gamut that you can sample with reflective
charts, cameras are remarkably linear and well-behaved.

Elle Stone:
Is there a reason to think Hening's camera is saving significantly nonlinear
results in the raw file?

My current camera is a Sony a7r, and the reason I re-reconsider my camera
profile is that I read that the a7r it is compressing extreme values, so I
thought the linearity was in question. But these extreme values may not fall
within the range of the CC patches.

-am versus -as:

As I understand it, -am presumes linear data, whereas -as does not. Can it do
any harm to use -as, meaning not to make a presumption? Will -as not handle the
data correctly in case they turn out to be linear? I get better Delta E values
with -as.

Elle Stone:
Some raw processors (digiKam's raw processor) do apply a tone curve over which
the user has no control, in which case "-aS -qm" or "-aG" would seem to be a
better choice.

My raw processor is Iridient, which applies a camera curve that you can turn
off (and I do).

The remaining question is about the white point. I hope to study Elles link
tomorrow.

Thanks to you! - Hening