[argyllcms] Re: White Point

  • From: Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 13:11:16 -0800

On Nov 9, 2015 11:22 AM, "Elle Stone" <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

My understanding is that "delta E" is measured against spectral
calculations, the nature of which calculations are outside my small area of
"maybe I understand something". But the calculations have to do with how
light combines to produce the colors we see and measure, which isn't
exactly the way colors multiply in the various RGB color spaces we use for
image editing.

As is typically the case, I believe Elle nailed it here.

I am also quite sure that the delta E doesn't tell the whole story, in that
any multiplicative work, including indirect lighting or coloured
illumination etc. would draw the values out toward the primaries
differently based on what the colour space's primaries are. That is,
certain spaces (and potentially low delta Es according to TM's metric) may
exhibit less desirable saturations and such based on typical image
manipulations and renders.

This thread is illuminating, no pun intended:
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/academyaces/9b4VuqPcOHQ/yj1TlRfyqT0J

In particular, the above loose summary is well demonstrated by Steve
Agland's post, which appear broken at the moment.

With respect,
TJS