[HG-PBEM] Re: Not at the party...

  • From: Robb Neumann <robbneu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:29:39 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

> "Know this, Tina. I will treat you fairly. Perhaps we should be
> enemies, but it seems we're surrounded with enough of those as it is.
> You will always know how you stand with me, and I suspect I will know
> how I stand with you. There is still honor here, if we keep it. We
> must not lose sight of that."

"When there is not honor for all sides, honor becomes a liability," Tina
replied, coldly.  "That is why I prefer war to these back-alley games the
Colonel has involved us in."

Tina still felt the "tug" in her shoulder when she moved, the remnants of the
ambush in the restaurant; a reminder of the bullet that ripped into her chest
and threw her to the ground.  She could see plainly that Juliette's wound,
while mostly healed by this point, still bothered her as she walked.

"We can configure your Gear to compensate for your injury," the GREL said,
motioning at Juliette's leg with a nod of her head.

She found herself speaking plainly, addressing the point, rather than dancing
around it.  It was a method she was used to while she was still with the CEF or
when she was "freelancing" with her twin.  There wasn't time for chit-chat
then, no need for formalities.  There was work to be done.  With Carlie,
Roghen, the rest of her roommates, for that matter, the rest of her team, she
tried interacting more as a human would, tried partaking in those verbal games
they all seemed to enjoy so much.  At least with Juliette, another solider,
someone used to getting to the point, she could simply be "herself," even if
"herself" lacked personality.

It felt more natural to the GREL.  It was likely why she had found it so easy
to talk to the Southerner.  It wasn't that she couldn't be open with Carlie,
just that Carlie was fragile, could be wounded by a wrong word or turn of
phrase, so it was just easier not to speak at all.

Still, she was curious.  Why did this woman seem so compassionate?  She had
just told Tina that a GREL had killed her father.  She should have treated Tina
like a monster, an abomination.  Didn't the humans on Terra Nova usually see
GREL as a species first and individuals later?  Especially when they had been
responsible for so much pain.  For all Juliette knew, Tina had been the one who
had ended his life.  Tina couldn't even be sure.  Maybe she had.  So, why was
Juliette tender now, when she had only been cold before?

It was an interesting puzzle.