[HG-PBEM] Re: Not at the party...

  • From: Robb Neumann <robbneu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:40:18 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

> She stopped, turned to face Juliette, and asked, "You fought in the
> war.  You were a soldier?"

"No," Juliette answered. "I was just a girl when Earth attacked. I
was too young." Her eyes darkened. "My father fought, and was killed,
by your kind."

> [John: Robb, since Julie in fact wasn't in the war, do you want to
> amend any of this before we go on?]

[ Robb:  Okay, John... thanks.  For some reason I thought she had been in the
war.  Oh well... must be all that crack I do.  :)  Minor tweaks below. ]

Tina nodded, solemnly.

"There were rules that we followed," the GREL started to say.  "Your father.
GREL.  We may have tried to kill each other... tried for the eradication of our
foes, but there were still lines we would not cross, even if it meant
fulfilling our objectives.  There was a kind of trust between our forces.  I do
not romanticize it.  We were trying to destroy every last trace of one another.
 We killed one another even when we were defenseless, asleep.  We were not
gallant adversaries, but I could count on men like your father, just as he
could count on beings such as me."

The GREL woman clicked her datapad off again, tossing it onto a nearby table,
and returned her gaze to the Southern woman standing before her.

"Here and now, those rules are gone.  The Badlands are no place for battlefield
honor," she continued to explain.  "These children we are allied with do not
understand.  They accept it.  They accept that dirty tricks are the law of
action, but I cannot."

She stopped.  All Kassandra-class GREL were given training on human relations.
They often served as "battlefield liaisons" between GREL and human soldiers,
but none of her training prepared her to speak as she was doing now.  Still,
even with the difficulty of trying to describe her vague, foggy thoughts, she
thought that maybe another soldier, even one who had not fought in the war
against the GREL invaders, would understand what she was saying.

"We should be adversaries, you and I," she continued.  "I would trust you as my
enemy, just as I trusted men like your father.  I cannot trust the jackals the
Colonel has pitted us against."

She wanted to explain more, but she wasn't even sure she understood it,
herself.  She had been designed not to fear, to be able to simply act, pushing
emotions aside, but she was troubled.  The twins, with their pompous smiles and
arrogant unknowingness, did something to her.  She knew that.  The fact that
the doctors had cleared her didn't give her any comfort.