[HG-PBEM] Re: Not at the party...

  • From: John Guilfoyle <john_guilfoyle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:09:55 -0700 (PDT)

> "Everyone else back at Chance's apartment?" she asked.

> "Most of the Redliners appear to be there," Tina answered, stiffly.
>  "Jonas is outside."

> She picked up a data pad, turned it to make sure it had an open
> port, and then eyed the collection of Gears that filled the hangar.
>  Quiet and dark, the Gears looked like statues, or maybe like
> armor, emptied of their knights, the rumble of ancient battles
> still vibrating somewhere deep in their metal.
>
> "You are not at the party," Tina finally said, turning back to
> Juliette, as if she were suddenly reminded that the pilot was
> standing there.  "You dislike their idea of recreation?"

Juliette raised her eyebrows a little. "I suppose it might be that,
but really I had some work to do back here before calling it a
night." Hesitating for a moment, Lemanz smiled inwardly at the
uncomfortable silence that quickly settled. Tina, like most GREL,
wasn't exactly a sparkling conversationalist. It seemed surreal for a
moment, standing in the darkened hangar, dwarfed by one of the
massive, genetically altered legionnaires Earth had brought to Terra
Nova in hopes of conquering the planet. The war wasn't so long ago
that Juliette didn't remember what it was like. In fact, she
remembered very well the day the news came that her father had died.
Died at the hands of GRELs, just like Tina.

Now, Juliette found herself working side by side with one of those
same super-soldiers. Were they so very different, she and the GREL?
Both drifting, looking for purpose in lives that had become empty.
The desert was home for outcasts of all kinds, it seemed. For a
moment Lemanz almost felt a twinge of empathy for the woman in front
of her. "You're... alright?" she finally managed. "I know the doctor
checked you out, but being held captive couldn't have been a very
good experience."