[HG-PBEM] Re: Not at the party...

  • From: "John P. Guilfoyle" <john.guilfoyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Robb Neumann <apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:09:03 -0600

> Still, she was curious.  Why did this woman seem so
> compassionate?  She had just told Tina that a GREL had killed her
> father.  She should have treated Tina like a monster, an
> abomination.  Didn't the humans on Terra Nova usually see GREL as a
> species first and individuals later?  Especially when they had been
> responsible for so much pain.  For all Juliette knew, Tina had been
> the one who had ended his life.  Tina couldn't even be sure.  Maybe
> she had.  So, why was Juliette tender now, when she had only been
> cold before?

> It was an interesting puzzle.

Juliette's eyes lingered for a moment on Tina's face, and then the woman shook
her head. "Non, we don't need to adjust anything in my gear. I'm getting close
to being fully healed." It was interesting, Lemanz thought, that Tina had
noticed the stiffness in her leg. Perhaps the limp wasn't as subtle as Juliette
had thought, or perhaps Tina was innately an expert at spotting weaknesses in
potential foes. She dismissed the thought for the time being, and thought
instead about Tina's final comment about honor being a liability. Honor was
never a liability. For Juliette, for her family -- indeed, for much of the
Republic -- honor was life, and life without honor was worse than death. There
were paradoxes; deep seated ones that dwelled deep inside Juilette's psyche.
Today was not a day to explore them.

"I'm thinking of wrapping up here and going over to the party. I presume since
you've just come from there that you're not looking to go back." Looking around
the shadowy expanse of the hangar, the former soldier added, "But I'm not so
sure it's safe to be here alone. I have a feeling the enemies of the Colonel
aren't quite finished with us yet."