[Wittrs] Is Computation too Static to Sustain a Mind?

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 03:18:28 -0000

Off line, Charlie Moeller has thrown an interesting argument my way vis a vis
the possibilities of computational consciousness (conscious computers). With
his permission, I repost below his e-mail to me. Perhaps, if time permits and
Sean doesn't forbid, I will subsequently post my initial reply to him and then,
if he is still willing to discuss this in a public way, our subsequent debate:

Points to Ponder

From: "CMoel888@xxxxxxx" <CMoel888@xxxxxxx>Add to Contacts
To: swmaerske@xxxxxxxxx; CMoel888@xxxxxxx
Stuart,

I observe:

1. Computing is the method of applying or performing algorithms on static
frames of data.

2. Consciousness and thinking are dynamic processes, of which computing has
none.

Given these self-evident truths, how do you propose to reconcile "consciousness
in a computer?"

Best regards,

Charlie

It was written in Wittrs digest 440:

Ø       The issue is how does the conscious performance of computation come
about...

Or, more simply, what are the conditions for becoming conscious. Agreed?

The next question...

> Is conscious computation (or any awareness of anything) a function of
the purely physical processes?