[Wittrs] Re: Is Computation too Static to Sustain a Mind?

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 04:20:43 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> Neil:
> Traditional philosophy starts with facts, and then attempts to
> draw conclusions from those facts. Fodor's philosophy is consistent
> with that.

> My position is that it is impossible to start with facts, because
> there isn't any way of having facts. So we must start with the
> invention of ways of having facts.

> Budd:
> But you said you weren't into epistemology earlier. Put it this
> way, there are plenty of things you know without having to do
> philosophy. Like there are pianos. Like you represent the door as
> open when it is open (when you are seeing straight, blah, blah). "I
> have thoughts" doesn't need an invention of ways of having them;
> and describing them is easily done with ordinary language.

Maybe I am missing your point there.

If you are going to take for granted that we get information from  the
world, you might just as well take consciousness for granted  and spend
your time fishing instead.

The common view seems to be that we get information about the world  in
an entirely mechanistic way that has no effect on us at all.  And at the
same time there is a currently unexplained playing of  color movies in
the cartesian theater.  Perhaps it is not obvious,  but right there is
the committment to substance dualism.

Regards,
Neil