[tccrockets] Re: battery for stratologger CF

  • From: Bob Feretich <bob.feretich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 16:10:50 -0700

The C rating on a battery indicates the maximum continuous current (both charging and discharging) for which it is designed. The C rating is multiplied by the milli-amp hour (mAh) capacity rating of the battery.
So...
A 900 mAh 10C battery can handle continuous current of 9 Amps. (9000 milli-amps)
A 900 mAh 25C battery can handle continuous current of 22.5 Amps.

Flight electronics use only about 100 milli-amps, so either of these batteries can easily handle the load.
(R/C cars and copters use far more power.)

At low discharge rates, the capacity rating is quite accurate. So when draining 100 mA from a 900 mAh battery, a fully charged battery should last 9 hours. (900 mAh / 100 mA = 9h). They last less long at higher discharge rates. Also, you should stop and recharge a LiPo (or Li-Ion) at about 20% discharged. (So 9 h * 80% = 7.2 h). Over discharging a LiPo battery will permanently damage it.

So either the 10C or the 25C battery will work fine for flight electronics. Since the 10C is typically cheaper, I'd go with that. (Often the higher C rated batteries don't come with short circuit and over-charge/over-discharge protection devices.)

Don't store fully charged LiPo batteries for long periods when they are fully charged. They will create hydrogen gas and puff up. If when your LiPos puff up, destroy them by soaking in salt water overnight. Then throw them out. Discharged LiPo batteries are not hazardous waste.

Manufacturers store batteries at about half charge (3.85V per cell).

Regards,
Bob

On 7/11/2015 2:38 PM, David Robb wrote:

I've been thinking about moving to Lipo in my two stage ebays to get more room....
How long do the v7.4v 25c or 10c last on your Stratologger? Do you get several hours before discharged?

David M. Robb
robbdm@xxxxxxxxxxx