[tccrockets] Re: battery for stratologger CF

  • From: James Dougherty <jafrado@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 07:45:13 -0700

Hi Steve

Yes, but the e-match fires with much less current before the FET fails...
And those FETS ... They can take short pulses of current far beyond
What they are rated for ...

Anyhow, I thought that may be an issue but I haven't had a problem with the
setup using ematches.

I think the concern is if the ematch fires but somehow the leads get shorted -
I can see that messing things up and maybe even
actually starting a fire!

Thank you
-James

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 14, 2015, at 7:06 AM, Steve Sawyer <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree with Bob, if you want to turn to later technologies, the 2S LiPo is a
very nice small package - just watch out for the FET rating for firing the
pyros. A 180mA LiPo with a 40C rating means that it can deliver 7.2A into a
1 Ohm pyro load (this exceeds the PerfectFlite 5A FET rating).

I've also had discussions with PerfectFlite - they are fairly clear about
recommending the 9V Alkaline batteries (9V NiMH can also be used from Harbor
Freight).

However, I'm using a 3S LiPo (Turnigy nano-tech 180mah 3S ~40C from HobbyKing
or Amazon). This is very small but as I mentioned, requires the added series
resistors on the outputs. The voltage regulator on the PerfectFlite will
allow operation from either a 3S or 2S LiPo.

Steve