[tccrockets] Re: battery for stratologger CF

  • From: James Dougherty <jafrado@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TCC chat <tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 16:42:24 -0700

Sure. 9V works fine.
Now here is a funny story ...

After a while ....and after you fly 'em once or twice you end up pulling
the battery out, putting tapes over the lead and then discarding them.
Sure, you can use a DVM and measure them, but once they go to 6V you're
scared... so technically you're supposed to dispose of
batteries at a hazardous battery disposal (yes, you will throw it in the
trash and it will rot over a million years in a land-fill, leaking
dangerous stuff into the ground ... but forget about the tree hugger stuff
for now). Anyhow, I had taped the top of these batteries so
they didn't short ... I thought I would have some fun with some of them and
so I decided to short out to 9V to each other (just connect
them to each other). I did that with about 12 batteries and threw it in a
coffee can outside with a minimum safe distance of 50ft and waited.

About 10 minutes later, there was a nice fire ... it melted the coffee can,
there was some green and blue crazy sparks coming out of it too!
Then there was a "Bang" like a loud fire-cracker! These damn things explode!

Anyhow, the moral of the story is don't do this crazy shit at home, and do
dispose of these things at a hazardous recyle center.
Walmart has one, so do some Walgreens...

Or you could get Lipo/LiIon and only worry about what happens when you're
out of charge or damage the battery..

And that is my 9V saga :-)

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Mike Smith <msmith9144@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

9 Volt battery always worked fine

On Monday, July 13, 2015, Steve Sawyer <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been using 180mah 3S 25~40C Lipos.

For the stratologger CF required protection of the FETs (i.e.,
short-circuit or 1 Ohm pyros), I use series 3 Ohm resistors on each output.

Lots of flights are possible.

Steve