[roc-chat] Re: Separate LPR area at ROCtober

  • From: "Jim Wold" <bb.wolf2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:23:37 -0700

All of these are good ideas but until we can get a steady stream of volunteers it isn't really going to solve the big problem. Pardon me if I rant for a few but the lack of volunteers has gotten ridiculous. I have been approached during setup by people who fly semi regularly and asked when the range would be setup, the website says they can start flying at 8. When I said they would have to wait until setup was done but that it would go faster with more help, they just turned and walked away. Part of the reason this subject came up is because of volunteer burnout and the apathy of the majority of our members, A club that serves this many people can not survive on a small core of people doing everything, something is going to suffer and sometimes it is safety. Safety is something that should be the main concern of everyone at the launch, not just personally but for others around us. But we can't even get adults to take charge of the kids they bring, we are constantly telling the same kids about safety violations, especially riding bikes in the safety zone. I hate to sound like a safety nazi but we have been letting a lot of things slip because only a few people are dealing with it and they are the same ones doing everything else. That is my rant for now, to those that do help out people do notice and they do appreciate.

Jim Wold

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Dierking
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:56 PM
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Separate LPR area at ROCtober

I proposed using timers for the PM several years ago, and even determined a source for the timers that Starbuck's uses. Hum, what ever happened to that proposal?

Richard Dierking

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 26, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Michael Klett <xsive.guy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How about copying what Starbucks does to make sure that old coffee is
not served...

Set up a board with the pads and put a timer on the board for each
bank.  As soon as the first rocket goes on a pad on the bank the timer
is started.  When the bank is launched the timer is cleared.  The Pad
Manager / LCO always choose the bank with the oldest time on it.  And
if there is more than one bank with say 15 minutes (or some other
arbitrary time) showing then it's a signal that they need to speed
things up.

Perhaps another addition to that idea is that when a bank has hit 5
minutes on the timer the Pad Manager can't put any more rockets on it
and has to start loading the next bank so that it can be cycled.

Of course, these times are pulled out of the air and probably would
need to be tuned but think about the concept.  Of course, for safety
reasons, distances would need to be considered so that any bank not
being launched could be open for loading.  If that's not the case then
the algorithm probably wouldn't work.

Thanks,
Mike

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:49 AM, David Erbas-White
<derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/26/2012 9:23 AM, Richard Dierking wrote:

NO!

There are plenty of times when even six pads aren't enough.  The problem
isn't that there are too many pads waiting to be filled, it's a management issue (time/pad management). It's the problem of not cycling pads, even if
a bank only has one rocket.

I had proposed some kind of chart last year, with a pointer, that could
simply have the hand rotated or some such to show which banks were coming up
next, but it was noted as 'too much additional work' to try and show pad
order.

I don't have the ultimate solution, but the BASELINE PROBLEM is that any
bank with a rocket on it should be fired in rotation with all other banks.

Here's one other possible solution/proposal -- have a little box attached to the controller that would track which banks haven't been flown (this would
be 'reset' or 'changed' by detecting the arming switch for the bank being
thrown). It could then show something like the order of the next upcoming
three banks, thus 'reminding' the LCO what's up next.

I'm sure that others have simple, non-intrusive methods that we can come up with -- but the bottom line issue is that the first person to put a rocket
on a bank should NOT have to be waiting half-an-hour for their rocket to
launch.

David Erbas-White

Just a thought; do you think setting up 4 pads per bank instead of the
normal 6 would help?
Richard Dierking