-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Active X Question

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 01:06:50 -0400

Sandi,
    I haven't read through all of the posts yet, so pardon me if this has
already been answered.

    The term codec is a sort of contraction.  It means
COmpressor/DECompressor.  When it comes to computer audio or video, you'll
often see/hear references to a decompressor or decoder used to mean the same
thing.  What they're really talking about is the specific codec required to
open (Play) that particular file type.

    A codec pack is a usually large collection of various codecs that are
bundled together as a single download.  A comprehensive codec pack may
include codecs for QuickTime, Real Audio, MP3, WAV and Ogg Vorbis audio
files as well as QuickTime, Real Video, DivX, AVI, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 video
files (and may include a lot of them that you've never heard of and probably
will never use).  A pack may also be more specialized to only include one
type (audio or video rather than both).

    The problem I have with codec packs is that each individual codec
belongs to and is updated by different groups or companies.  The pack limits
you to what versions were available when the pack was assembled, even though
several of the individual codecs have been updated before you even install
the pack.  Also, many packs include a collection of rarely (if ever) needed
codecs that end up doing nothing more than clogging up your operating system
since all installed codecs are initialized every time you boot into Windows
(similar to the way all installed fonts are initilaized every time you
boot).  A second, but more serious, problem is that these packs often
include codecs that conflict with each other.  If you read the README file
carefully, you'll catch the instructions that tell you to pick one of the
conflicting codecs over the other for various purposes (Codec X is best if
you often ... .  Choose codec Y instead if you usually ...), but how many
normal people read those things?  As a result, a lot of systems end up
unnecessarily unstable as a result.

    None of this is meant to dissuade you from downloading and installing a
codec pack.  On the contrary, the packs that are available today are much
better than they used to be and can save you a lot of hunting for the
individual codecs you may be seeking.  Just make sure that you read
everything that comes with the pack before installing.  Chances are good
that the providing site will also have a FAQ and support area dedicated to
any questions you might have afterwards.           :O)

Peace,
GMan