[pchelpers] Re: Dist format or disk eraser utility

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 11:10:45 +1300

On 2/11/2010 10:39 a.m., Ekhart GEORGI (last name last) wrote:
> Hi Gerald and John
>

> When John says "physical maintenance", he means restoring the system
> files with the sfc /scannow command. You do not usually need a CD to run
> sfc, but you may have to change a setting in the registry to make it
> look for the backup files on the hard drive instead of the DVD drive. In
> any case, there is no need to delete Windows or program files.

I will give you half marks for that. What I meant is:before using SFC to
fix system files, first give it physical maintainance.

The way to do that is open up "My Computer". Right click the drive you
want to maintain.
Under properties there are several tabs. From them choose "Tools". Click
the "Check Now" and allow it whatever time it needs to go over the disk
fixing up the file system. Windows depends on the underlying pattern
(the formatted disk whether it has files or not) to properly find homes
for your files, manage maintainance and defragment such files. Without
this healthy sub-structure good files could become faulty ones, so it is
wise to care for this area to prevent slow degradation of the system.

Only after this do I choose to do "SFC /SCANNOW".
This comes under "doing things in the proper order".
--
Regards, John Durham
Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786