[pchelpers] Re: Dist format or disk eraser utility

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 23:39:08 +0200

Hi Gerald and John

Please do not quote more of the old message than is necessary to
understand your answer, and please always put at least one empty line
between the quoted part and your answer. If you don't do these two
things, understanding and even finding your answers is very frustrating
and almost impossible for most people.

>>> I ave an old Dell Windows XP desktop.  The DVD/CD is stuck and a
>>> repair would be expensive and my apartment has enough clutter.
>>>
>>> Can ANYONE give me the URL or brand name for a disk format
>>> utility that is independent of the Dell  operating system or a
>>> disk eraser?   I have a portable floppy drive attached to the
>>> Dell.  I can download on my Vista Desktop and transfer to floppy
>>> via  a Sandisk flash card.

It makes no sense to reformat your hard drive if you have a problem with
your DVD drive. This will not fix your problem. If the DVD drive is
broken, the simplest solution is to get an external one with a USB
connection. Used DVD drives are quite cheap.

>>> Dell refused to give me a restore CD and said that Internet Explorer is
>>> enough and the Dell is a mess.

What did you ask them for help with? It sounds like you asked them how
to reinstall Windows. That can probably be done from the restore CD
files that are usually in a hidden partition on most laptops. Once
you've reinstalled Windows you can update it using IE.

>>> Gerald What physical maintenance have you done on the file
>>> system? That is step 1.
>> The os prevents deletion of Windows and Program files.  The  os
>> indicates C drive format is impossible since there are some
>> software using the C drive.

When John says "physical maintenance", he means restoring the system
files with the sfc /scannow command. You do not usually need a CD to run
sfc, but you may have to change a setting in the registry to make it
look for the backup files on the hard drive instead of the DVD drive. In
any case, there is no need to delete Windows or program files.

There is no need to reformat the C drive. And if you do that, you can't
reinstall Windows without a functioning CD drive. Since your DVD drive
is broken, reformatting is even more useless than usual.

>>> Does the system still contain a copy or CD of the operating
>>> system?
>> A CD would  be of no value since the CD bay does not open.  Perhaps
>> a small screwdriver could open the bay so that the Dell
>> Installation software go go in.  Any way to force the bay open?

Didn't you ask Dell about that? In any case, the DVD drive is probably
dead if it won't open normally. Can you see a light? If you don't want
to buy a new DVD or CD drive, you can probably borrow an external one
from a store or someone you know.

>>> One way or another, a suitable CD is needed to correct system
>>> file>? errors. If yours is licensed, you should be OK to borrow
>>> one temporarily to repair the files. You know the command to type
>>> in the RUN area. SFC /SCANNOW

No, you do not usually need a CD to run sfc even though the default
registry setting asks you to insert one.