[pchelpers] Re: Dist format or disk eraser utility

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 21:42:11 +1300

On 2/11/2010 9:29 p.m., Ekhart GEORGI (last name last) wrote:
> Hi Gerald
>
>> You   may  misunderstand  me.  I  do  not  want  to  restore  an  old
>> Dell  desktop  but  trash  it.  I  did  buy  a  cheap  (in quality
>> and  price)  USB  DVD  drive.  but  that  too  is  dead  now.   I
>> believe  most  computer  stores  no  longer  sell  it.  I  will  get
>> another  one.

There are a lot of people who spend time renovating old PC systems
for use in schools or to teach the children at home.
Just remove the bad and use the good. The other bits could be recycled
for the rare elements that went into manufacture.

> And if you're getting another DVD drive for this computer, you're
> clearly saying the opposite of your first line even now.
>
>> As   I  tried  to  explain  Dell  sold  me  an  old  version  of
>> Internet  Explorer  on  CD but  not  the  factory  restore  disk.
>> There  are   two  CDs  to  the  set   I  have  that  is  menu
>> driven.  One  should  burn  the  HDD without  Windows  installed.
>
> See? You're clearly saying the opposite of your first line again :-) And
> what on earth do you mean with " sold  me  an  old  version  of Internet
>    Explorer  on  CD"?! Surely no one charges for IE? Even sounds illegal.
It's easy to trash something, but a little harder to give it a new lease
of life. This machine may have uses such as games for children or a list
of others. It's up to you to assess what can or should be done with it.

--
Regards, John Durham
Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786