[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:53:22 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>The cost of a Hisense 4th gen receiver is $150 to USDTV AFAIK now. The
>>cost to a customer of USDTV is $19.95 or for an additional one $4.95 per
>>month. These receivers will be offered for zero $ by early next year by
>>clones of USDTV. What this 5th gen receiver is best for are business
>>plans that might work
>>

>USDTV has a new LG manufactured receiver due out 4th quarter 2004 which does
>include the 5th Gen chipset and the Walmart price to non USDTV subscribers
>is said to be ~ $200. For this discussion, the cost to USDTV customers,
>while of interest, is not relevant.

I don't know about an LG receiver but they will have a Hisense receiver
with an LG 5th gen chip set in it.

Any relevance has to do with the USDTV business model of which similar
versions should become pervasive in the OTA world. If so the way most
Americans get an OTA receiver will be very low cost or zero IMO.
Broadcasters will quickly become subscription service providers just
like cable  and satellite. I think cable and satellite are at a
competitive disadvantage for a number of reasons in that contest.