[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 16:11:23 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The manufacturing process for LCD displays is considerably more
> complex than for CRT displays, and the cost to build the
> manufacturing plat is much higher. We are talking about the
> difference between manufacturing light bulbs versus large complex
> integrated "chips."
>
> The process for building CRT displays is well evolved: make the bulb,
> screen on the phosphors and assemble some cheap metal components
> manufactured by the millions.

Sounds suspiciously like stuff I used to hear about how hard it is
to build a color CRT vs B&W. All of that doesn't matter anymore.

But okay, it will take some time. I think we disagree only on how
much time. I say very few years before CRT TVs will become unusual
on store shelves. (Same goes for price reduction on ATSC front
ends.)