[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:51:26 -0400

At 10:28 AM -0400 7/2/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>I said "on the same scale".  If the infrastructure is *in place* to turn out
>as many LCD panels as CRTs, is the actual cost of producing an LCD panel
>more than a CRT?  My guess is it's less.  Possibly a lot less.

You would be incorrect. LCD panels are more expensive to manufacture
because the manufacturing technology is far more complex and capital
intensive. Making big glass light bulbs is relatively low tech; there
are issues related to the size and weight of these bulbs, but these
are not big technical barriers. The reason that bigger direct view TV
keep coming down in price is that it is easy to make them; that's why
CRT manufacturing is being handed over to emerging nations like China.