[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <res0xtey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:24:32 -0700

Bert wrote:
And by the way, in your absence, you propably missed the announcement
> that your $200 built-in tuner estimate, by 2007, will be *way* out
> of line. Try sub-$100 prices for stand-alone STBs. Motorola claims
> $67 for the stand-alone STB, which to me says no more that $30-$35
> for the integrated tuner, as price to the consumer.

I asked Frank, in two different posts, whether he believes that Motorola can
deliver Generation 5 performance in the $67 product. I believe the answer to
that question may be in the fact that it wasn't answerd. However, since that
box will not have HD capability nor include component/DVI outputs, it could
certainly be sold for less than $200.