[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:55:38 -0400

At 10:35 AM -0400 7/1/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>I clearly recall a discussion we had several years ago where you championed
>the position of an almost immediate switchover of computer displays from
>CRTs to LCDs.  Why?  Because Apple said so.
>
>But now when it comes to TVs, you say it'll take years!

I'm not certain that your conclusion is accurate. There are many
factors that have driven the shift in computer displays from CRT to
LCD. The fact that Apple once again was on the leading edge of this
trend was a factor, but not especially important in the bigger scheme
of things.

The important factors were and are:

1. The shift from desktop to laptop. CRT-based laptops were never
well accepted ;-)

2. The desire to reduce the "space" footprint for desktop computers.
This is important in both business and home computing applications. A
large CRT hogs space, whether it is in an office or a home. It also
uses more power and generates more heat than an LCD display.  We are
beginning to see some parallels in the consumer TV market, especially
for big screens that are "thin."

3. Greatly improved screen geometry and in most cases brightness and
contrast. The LCD provides uniform performance from edge-to-edge of
the screen. Brightness and contrast are now superior to CRT displays
(this may not have been true a few years ago).

4. Human ergonomics - LCD screens are proven to cause less fatigue for users.

And finally...

No need to use a high SPF sunblock to prevent CRT emissions from
giving you a tan!

The issue with TVs is simply one of economics. The average price of a
TV is sill well below $500. It will take years for LCD panels to be
price competitive, especially for the smaller screens that will be
found in bedrooms, etc.

The only way this can change is if there is a shift in perception
about the value of a new display. If  new applications emerge that
take advantage of the benefits of LCD displays, the masses might
spend a bit more for a digital media appliance to replace an existing
TV.  This is where "convergence" could have an impact.