[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:59:03 -0400

>How quickly we forget. A mere 3 years ago, PCs were almost
>always sold with CRT monitors. We started seeing flat screens
>in TV shows, and by now, we almost forgot that PCs ever came
>with CRT monitors. Just how many CRTs do you see with PCs
>when you visit your neighborhood Best Buy or CompUSA?

Quite a few.

Apparently the Computer industry has not forgotten about CRTs. They
still dominate the lower price points for PCs. The Best Buy website
shows 8 integrated systems. The cheapest system that ships with an
LCD panel costs $1,699. They offer five systems with CRT displays
that start at about $699.

LCDs have passed CRT displays in total dollar volume in the PC
industry, but they still represent the majority of displays sold for
desktop PCs. You can buy a 19" flat CRT display from best buy for
$199. A Mag 17" flat tube CRT sells for $129. The cheapest 17" LCD
panel they offer is a Mag unit that sells for $399.

Even Apple still sells the CRT based eMAC so they can offer a low
cost integrated system to the price sensitive education market.