[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <res0xtey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:03:02 -0700

Frank wrote:
> I recall that my answer was that by early 2007, you wouldn't even be able
to find anything as old as Gen5 except on eBay. Maybe what Dale was really
asking is do I believe that Gen6, 7, 8, etc. will be better or worse
performance than Gen5? My answer would have to be, "probably a little of
both." It depends on the relative cost of Gen5 or higher levels of
performance compared to other 8-VSB approaches, it depends on Moore's Law
and it depends on competition and supply & demand.<

Even though what you say make sense, it was not an answer to my particular
question, which was: "Can Motorola actually supply a set top box for $67
which includes 5th Gen technology?" I was skeptical that it could be done
anytime in the near future for such a price. I assumed that Motorola didn't
pull that number out of a hat when it offered a product to support the
Congressman's proposal to speed the DTV transition by giving away set top
boxes. However, since you no longer work for Motorola directly I understand
why you couldn't supply a direct answer.

IMO, the value to Motorola in the announcement of such a low price is to add
value to the Congressman's agenda of speeding the transition. Motorola has
much to gain from product development for new services that will utilize the
returned spectrum.