[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 07:16:04 -0400

In any area where USDTV will actually work with set top antennas and the
new chip I suspect that USDTV could quickly take 10-20% (SWAG) of the
market, competing with (extended) basic cable.

The exception might be broadband cable users where some companies like
Comcast charge a negative $5/mo for basic cable with a broadband
subscription.  That is, Comcast would have changed me $15 to NOT add
limited basic but only $9 if I did.

But otherwise it seems ALL the mulit-channel providers have now priced
themselves such as to make USDTV attractive at $20 with the new chip as
long as you can actually get the darn thing in your area.

- Tom