[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:44:23 -0400

At 11:11 AM -0400 7/1/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>On the same scale, how can manufacturing a 27" LCD panel possibly cost more
>than manufacturing a 27" CRT?

The manufacturing process for LCD displays is considerably more
complex than for CRT displays, and the cost to build the
manufacturing plat is much higher. We are talking about the
difference between manufacturing light bulbs versus large complex
integrated "chips."

The process for building CRT displays is well evolved: make the bulb,
screen on the phosphors and assemble some cheap metal components
manufactured by the millions.

The process for building LCD panels is still developing, especially
for larger panels. The glass substrates are more expensive to
manufacture than big light bulbs. The process of creating each image
sample involves laying down dyes, and building active transistors and
signal traces for each pixel location.

The differences in required image processing and power requirements
probably net out.

LCD panels do enjoy an advantage in shipping weight and "volume" per unit.

>"Convergence".  Gee, I haven't heard anyone use that word in years!  I think
>it died at about the same time as the term "New Media"  ;)

It never died...

It just was delayed, as we have documented for more than seven years
on this list.