[muglo] Re: Constitution

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:57:13 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sat, 3/7/09, Mary Read <m.k.read@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As a relatively new and heretofore 'inactive'
> member, but one who reads posts with interest
> and culls very helpful information from them,
> I would like to voice a concern about the present
> discussion regarding which members should
> "qualify" to vote. It seems to me that some of
> those who are able to regularly attend meetings
> are suggesting that the group excludes those that
> cannot. Not only that, but to possibly exclude
> those who do not regularly contribute to posts.

You make a good argument for maintaining online membership as the basis for
voting rights, Mary (some people may find it inconvenient, uncomfortable or
downright impossible to attend meetings) and Doug Rogers appears to have
supplied the answer to my concern about distinguishing even passive
participants from those lapsed members who no longer receive or want to take
part at all (traffic on the Freelists forum goes out automatically to all
listed members, and Doug delists any from whom three consecutive MUGLO mail
messages are bounced back, unless they've explained that and indicated that
they want to remain members).

I have yet to be convinced, though, that members who don't participate AT ALL
in the group's activities, whether at meetings or online, should have any voice
in deciding what those activities should be, or how they should be conducted.
For that matter, I don't see why they would want one.

I should add that I would consider your own infrequent but always rational
contributions to our sometimes over-intense discussions to be more than
sufficient entitlement to voting rights. There are probably a couple of dozen
others, too, who chime in rarely but usefully. No one wants to exclude you: We
want more like you.