[muglo] Re: Constitution

  • From: "Susan N. Dunbar" <sndunbar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 11:08:05 -0500

It is a sad group that can not count on a simple majority of their
members to be interested in the business of the group.

I further think that if this is the state of affairs with MUGLO then
some culling of the membership list may be needed.

I do not currently attend meetings, which by the by I consider to be
SIGs but I do read all MUGLO posts and find much help from many of
the posts.

I do not think that the idea that "those present", especially when
this is an online group, and not the whole membership should settle
issues.

I also think that if we set a quorum for settling business of the
group then we should also set up a proxy system.

Or alternately: ...

Allow that non votes by members be considered as abstaining votes
which do not count, when counting the vote as either negatively or
positively affecting the outcome of the vote.  If this option is
followed then by the nature of the beast a quorum is the whole group.

I also suggest that once a year before elections or alternately
before any vote is called of the membership that the list be culled
and those who do not respond to a call to verify their interest be
removed from the group membership.  I do not have the knowledge to do
this but it is often done in online groups ... Kijiji immediately
comes to mind when they ask regularly for the recipient to confirm
that the recipient still wishes to receive certain notifications or
that name will be removed from the list of those receiving
notifications.

Susan