[modeleng] Re: Someone has to do it . . . . .

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:40:35 -0600

Ah Ha!

Now I see where you are heading Harry.  I wonder if the British lokies also
used a tapered crank pin?  I always wondered how those valve motion cranks
could be made tight enough to not slip at some time since they seem to be
just clamped to the pin.  Of course with piston valves there is no real
stress that might cause slippage, but slide valves are a different can of
worms altogether.  Anyway, I have never had to worry with the return crank
since my lokies all have Stephenson gear with four eccentrics, well, all but
the Filer and Stowell which has no eccentrics or valve motion at all.

Now, you gonna have to put a sign on your lokie detailing the crankpin
design or it will be totally  missed by us plebeians! [:>)

Jesse