[modeleng] Re: Someone has to do it . . . . .

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:06:18 -0600

At 09:05 AM 3/26/05 -0600, you wrote:
>I always just ream my crank pin holes and press in the pins, but the way you
>are doing it sounds OK albeit a bit troublesome to do correctly.

Jesse,
      Yes, it does take quite a bit more work but to me this is what model
engineering is all about - deciding what is to be done and then working out
a way to do it even if it does require a little extra work.  There are
plenty of locomotives around which were built using many "work-saving"
measures and I have no desire to contribute to that collection.
      But you've missed the point.  The point is I made a personal decision
about what I will have - I want milled square crankpin ends for the return
cranks.  This is a typically British detail and will be right at home on
the rest of the locomotive (and I won't bother to question why it was a
typical British practice in the first place.)
     This then presents me with another problem . . . . how to press (or
even Loctite) the crankpins in so that the return cranks will be in exactly
the right radial location to produce correct valve gear events, be exactly
the same on each side, and eliminate the potential for return crank shift.
SOLUTION:  Make an "adjustable" (and lockable) crankpin!
     This little extra work will allow me to easily adjust valve gear
geometry, in the field if necessary, rather than have to break down the
running gear and  press out the crankpins and the make another guess as to
where they need to be this time.

Regards,
Harry