[lit-ideas] Re: Shadows, Fog, and Money

  • From: Eric Yost <Mr.Eric.Yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:10:47 -0400

We live because it's worth living. If it weren't worth living, we
wouldn't do it. We tell ourselves the story about life and the
characters--especially our own--engage us and we want to be part of the
story. If it were a bad story, we might just as well shut the book.

If you ever sit in the dark for a few moments and review your life, you
may be flooded with the intricacy and depth of its plot, all the people
and scenes and settings, its tremendous beauty despite its boredom and
pain, the resonance of one time with another, of every moment of love,
the anger, the waste, the joy...enough to find you in the dark crying
for its beauty, or laughing for it, or halfway between crying and
laughing (as I often find myself) wondering how you can let it go but
knowing that you ultimately must let it go...and any thought of why one
lives is not there at all.