[lit-ideas] Re: Shadows, Fog, and Money

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:34:02 -0400

>A.A. Wow, do you have a misconception of atheism.  By your definition
>atheists can't like history either.  Yes, I said "here and now" in the
>sense that if we atheists don't do it here and now, God isn't going to do
>it later.  Religious people get a second chance in the afterlife.  Not only
>that, to a religious person this little puny little life is a throwaway,
>the preparation for the real thing.  On top of that, religious people usurp
>morality, implying that people are too dim to figure out the difference
>between right and wrong if daddy isn't there to tell them what to do.

I don't understand why atheists (I mean REAL true, down and dirty,
I-KNOW-GOD-DOESN'T-exist Atheists) bother with life and why they aren't
complete anarchists and nihilists. The cold fact is that no matter WHAT you
do on this Earth, you are going to die. If you truly believe that there's
nothing after, then what's the point? And why on Earth (pun intended) would
you care about history or future history. You're here for max 110 years,
all else is pointless, without interest and if you are actually concerned
with it, then you aren't sure.

> > AA: Ever think pigs might be stardust too and this might be cannibalism?
> >
> > Maybe you better get Judy to look up the meaning of cannibalism for ya.
>

>A.A.  Humans are supreme.  Only humans are allowed into heaven.  God gave
>humans dominion over the animals.  We're a species distinguished by our
>hubris.  BTW, I'm still waiting to hear what you think the words "we are
>stardust" mean.  Merriam Webster online (still free) defines stardust as a
>feeling or impression of romance, magic, or ethereality.  I was hoping that
>your quoting it along with going back to the garden implied a sense of
>interconnectedness of life. But you're a Republican, so that's just
>romantic thinking on my part.

Like Dude, it was written in the late 60s FOR WOODSTOCK man, like the
summer of love. Of course it has all kinds of romantic connotations. I
quoted it because in either case -- religious or atheist -- both believe in
dust to dust. One is matter-of-fact, one is romantic. I like the hippy way
in some aspects, except they don't get much done.

Re: paul being a republican
>A.A. Give me a reason to change my opinion.

I'm Canadian.
I'm not religious.
I'm not rich.
I don't like rich people.
I abhor commercials.
I'm NOT totally into capitalism.
I have real friends that are [openly] gay, handicapped, of different races.
I don't tell people how to run their lives (ooh, sorry, that's democrats)
I'm an equal opportunity offender.
I believe in gun control.
I don't like Rush Limbaugh or Michael Moore.
I contribute to actual charities, not for tax purposes and not so they will
scratch my back.
I drive a small car that gets 50 mpg.
I believe in a woman's right to choose.

There are many things that I think are good on both sides of the fence, but
if you call me a Republican, you simply haven't been paying attention.

paul

[insert pithy quote here]
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx