[lit-ideas] Re: Shadows, Fog, and Money

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:57:12 -0400

At 04:56 PM 6/10/2005, you wrote:
>myth: the earth has warmed up between 0.8 and 1 degree F in the last century
>

>What about all the other evidence of climate change? Melting icecaps,
>increase in Alaskan temperatures endangering a host of species, insects
>like mosquitoes found at higher elevations than ever before, etc., ad
>nauseum.
>
>Do you discount the other stuff as the result of insufficient knowledge
>of earth's historical record?

What do you mean by "ever before"? Do you mean, in the last few hundred
years when people were bored (i.e. not busy enough) to take those things
into consideration?
I've been to Hoover Dam 4 times. Once it was overflowing over the flood
plains and shooting water hundreds of feet downriver through huge 25 foot
pipes. A few years later, the water was down 30 or 40 feet from its "usual"
place. The other two times it was "normal". This is all in the past 18
years. Does that prove anything? You can't have it both ways. What is normal?

paul