[lit-ideas] Re: Shadows, Fog, and Money

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:44:18 EDT

In a message dated 6/12/2005 3:51:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
A.A. I  knew people are stupid.  Now I now they're assholes.  Why does  no
one explore the wonderment of why people bother to continue to live if  they
are religious?  Why don't religious people just kill themselves  and go and
meet their maker, take the expressway to paradise?  I just  hope to god that
it's better in Europe than in these backwaters called the  United States,
California and New York excepted.  Thanks at least to  Eric for getting it
that the wonderment is simply in being alive, not in  believing in some
tooth fairy who tells us when to fart and when not  to.

Hi, Andy,
My response was about why one might bother to live if one did NOT believe  in
a Higher or Supreme Being (whether or not that being is the tooth fairy or
not...<g>)

(I'm not sure what you meant to accomplish by the first two  sentences...Were
they simply stated as part of your frustration because *your*  question had
not been answered?)

Before I do try to take a look at your question, perhaps you can define  what
you mean by "religious people" more clearly for me.  I do hope you are  aware
that there are are multiple ways of looking at the world even when one  looks
at it through a "religious" manner.

My thought is that not all "religious" folk are those like the
fundamentalist sort.  (though I will try to answer from their point of view  if
I can...)
Please be aware of that.  There are varying degrees of  religiousity....though
one book that I used to like a lot in explaining some of  it was The
Heretical Imperative by Peter Berger (I think that is who it is  by...it is not
near
me, alas)

Would you be able to understand the varying aspects and reasons why a
"religious person" might think that life is worth living *now* if we look at
the
different levels or types of "relgious persons" or beliefs that are Out  There?

(knowing while we do so that we won't be analyzing each one--for I  do know
so many...)

I have gathered that you might want more information on the more
fundamentalist mindset and that is okay...I can try to 'go there'.  But, it
would make
it MUCH easier if you (at least every now and then <wry look>)  made sure to
mention that you DO understand that not all religious mindsets are  the
same...and that alot of them do have a problem with the fundamentalist
sorts...(though I admit that their 'time' does seem to be  'now'...<g>)

But, in case I am misunderstanding what your definition of a 'religious
person' is, perhaps you could define it better for me.  (I apologize if you
have
done so in the past...)

Mostly my post (to which you replied) was in regards to a thought on the
other direction...and that is because that topic is one that is in my 'regular
life' to a certain extent and affects a number of people in regards to a
particular subculture.

(though I can see how your question and Paul's certainly do seem to  be
related....)

Best to all,
Marlena in Missouri