[lit-ideas] Shadows, Fog, and Money

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:42:52 -0700 (PDT)

Some of you have propably read this already, but it is
just too good not to pass on, from
http://www.fafblog.blogspot.com/

Shadows, Fog, and Money

There are precious few matters in the world which are
black and white - at least, precious few matters which
do not involve killing Arabs and banning icky gay
people. In between there are a multitude of complex
shades of gray, as in the question of global warming.
Is the planet heating up, and if so, are we
responsible, and if so, how many years should we spend
humming loudly over anyone who informs us that we are
responsible until we determine that we are not
responsible?

Yesterday the New York Times revealed that a former
lobbyist for the American Petroleum Institute and
current chief of staff for the White House Council on
Environmental Quality had made substantial edits to a
series of reports on climate change in order to play
down links between greenhouse gases and global
warming. The usual leftist quarters are fired up
again, calling for America to join a veritable science
jihad, worshiping at the altar of fact when we've yet
to hear what fiction has to say about the situation.

One can't be too careful when deliberating over the
shifting and byzantine web of confusion and doubt that
is so-called "climate" "change." Whom should we
believe: the unruly mob of every reputable
climatologist on the planet, or the selfless sages at
Exxon-Mobil? Uncertainty abounds, even among higher
beings like the Medium Lobster. We must examine all
sides of the issue, take input from all corners: from
the side of science, and from the side of oil industry
whores paid to lie about science. Someday, somehow,
between these complex and opposing points of view, we
may just find an answer.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland