[lit-ideas] Re: Shadows, Fog, and Money

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:34:45 -0400

A.A.   Are you saying that unless someone isn't hitting you with a cattle
prod you don't know the difference between right and wrong?  Say it ain't
so.  Belief in God has *nothing* to do with being a good person.  Without
god there can be no laws, no emotion?  You think atheists should all not
obey traffic lights or pay taxes or care about anyone or anything?  You say
below you're not religious.  Why is it that you don't do anything you want
anytime you want?

If you truly believe that there's
> nothing after, then what's the point?

A.A. Because the hereafter has nothing to do with life on Earth.

And why on Earth (pun intended) would
> you care about history or future history. You're here for max 110 years,
> all else is pointless, without interest and if you are actually concerned
> with it, then you aren't sure.

A.A.   If you're here max 30 years, why would that stop you from being
interested in history or science or helping a blind person cross the
street?

> > > AA: Ever think pigs might be stardust too and this might be
cannibalism?

> > > Maybe you better get Judy to look up the meaning of cannibalism for
ya.

> >A.A.  Humans are supreme.  Only humans are allowed into heaven.  God gave
> >humans dominion over the animals.  We're a species distinguished by our
> >hubris.  BTW, I'm still waiting to hear what you think the words "we are
> >stardust" mean.  Merriam Webster online (still free) defines stardust as
> >feeling or impression of romance, magic, or ethereality.  I was hoping
that
> >your quoting it along with going back to the garden implied a sense of
> >interconnectedness of life. But you're a Republican, so that's just
> >romantic thinking on my part.
>
> Like Dude, it was written in the late 60s FOR WOODSTOCK man, like the
> summer of love. Of course it has all kinds of romantic connotations. I
> quoted it because in either case -- religious or atheist -- both believe
in
> dust to dust. One is matter-of-fact, one is romantic. I like the hippy
way
> in some aspects, except they don't get much done.

A.A.  So it was just lyrics.  You like the hippie clothes and music.
Obviously you believe in God, even though you say you're not religious,
otherwise why would you care that hippies don't get much done?   BTW,
Iron's Butterfly's In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida was originally supposed to be In a
Garden of Eden but nobody understood what they were saying over the loud
music. But you probably knew that and that's why you like hippies.

> Re: paul being a republican
> >A.A. Give me a reason to change my opinion.
>
> I'm Canadian.

A.A. I love all Canadians.

> I'm not religious.

A.A.  Could have fooled me.

> I'm not rich.

A.A.  I thought all Candians are rich.

> I don't like rich people.

A.A. Don't you like Canadians?

> I abhor commercials.

A.A. Even about Canada?

> I'm NOT totally into capitalism.

A.A. So you're not totally Canadian?

> I have real friends that are [openly] gay, handicapped, of different
races.

A.A.  I'll bet they all live in the United States.

> I don't tell people how to run their lives (ooh, sorry, that's democrats)

A.A.  That makes you a Democrat, since only democrats and Republicans run
people's lives.

> I'm an equal opportunity offender.

A.A. Now or in the hereafter?

> I believe in gun control.

A.A. That's because you're a Democrat.

> I don't like Rush Limbaugh or Michael Moore.

A.A.  Liar.

> I contribute to actual charities, not for tax purposes and not so they
will
> scratch my back.

A.A. Some people give to charities because they have itchy backs.

> I drive a small car that gets 50 mpg.

A.A. In Canada?

> There are many things that I think are good on both sides of the fence,
but
> if you call me a Republican, you simply haven't been paying attention.

A.A.  I guess I haven't been paying attention, if you equate atheism with
nihilism.  But not to worry, I'll survive it.

Andy