[lit-ideas] Re: Shadows, Fog, and Money

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:30:31 -0700

>> > There is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that the
>> > ways in which temperatures are taken today are much different than they
>> > were taken 100 years ago.
>>
>>Oh, Paul, c'mon. We have ice core records that show the global
>>temperatures for 800,000 years.
>
> What do they show?

They show that you are wrong :-)

Temperatures began to increase when humans invented agriculture. By cutting
down forests,
burning the grass and wood, and changing the ecology, the earth changed.

It's not merely industrialization (smoke and heat), it's also agriculture.

Look at the charts at
http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Precautionary_Planning/New_Data/ Look
at that little red line. That's CO2. At the far right, it literally spikes off
the chart.
That little red line is human activity. You are there.

The earth will warm up very fast. But it could also provoke a flip into a new
ice age, where
most of Europe and North America would be frozen. Not merely Nanook of the
North, but with
mile-high glaciers.

The New Yorker published a three-part series on global warming a few months
ago. There's no
doubt that we're creating a massive effect on CO2, which leads to a temperature
change. The
only question is whether this will provoke a period as warm as during the time
of the
dinosaurs 65 million years ago or bring about a new glacier ice age.

It's a very good question whether the USA will physically exist within a
hundred years.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com