[lit-ideas] Re: Londonistan

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:45:25 -0800 (PST)

To put the matter in some perspective, amount of
European Muslims that were involved in terrorist or
proven to have planned any is what, fifty? Just to be
safe, let's say one in hundred has actually been
caught, which gives five thousand potential
terrorists, or 0.00025% of the twenty million or so
Muslims in Europe. Compare this to the fact that
right-wing extremists poll support measured in full
percents in most Europeans nations, and guess which I
worry about more.

I try to take seriously people who actually bother to
study their subject, but is kind of hard to do so when
same foaming mouths first point to disproportionate
amount of Muslim imprisoned (a fact, and true of many
other minorities too) and then start on how they get
away with everything. (I wasn't thinking of Lawrence
but the authors he quotes.) Kind of reminds of the
Soviet proganda on American Racism, yes the problem is
and was real, but the way it was presented was
completely over the top.

Furthermore, I don't know what causes someone to blow
himself up in the tube, but I am pretty sure any
adequate answer is complex and invidual. I've had it
with the chattering classes and the casual ease by
which they move from large structural issue of
failures of integration, that comes in many forms and
has even more causes, to particular incidents
involving a tiny fraction of the group in question. As
the ultimate philosophical insult goes, it is too
vague to be even wrong.

Yours,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland