[lit-ideas] Re: Londonistan

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:23:32 -0800 (PST)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You should read how the Muslims getting away with
> almost anything they like
> and the judges and cops are letting them so as not
> to seem racist.

Every single piece of reporting on something like this
goes roughly like this:
1.) A relative unwilling to comply to forced marriage
or something like that was attacked brutally by a man
of North African origin, or something like that.
2.) The attacker sights cultural reasons, or something
like that.
3.) The sentence is couple years suspended, or
something like that.
4.) The reporter concludes that the attacker was given
a lighter sentence due to political correctness or
whatever.

There are two problems here. First, and if you've ever
been to a court you know this, offenders give the most
fantastic and bizarre excuses for their actions all
the time. If someone tells that he stole a car on his
way back home because he was tired of walking and gets
a lighter than expected than sentence, does that imply
that court agrees that sore legs are a mitigating
circumstance?

Second, and more importantly, the "lighter than
expected". Over here, and I suspect in most other
European nations too, sentences are light compared to
USA. For a non-lethal assault a first-timer is
unlikely to actually sit in the jail. This is arguably
too lenient, but not evidence of bias one way or
another. What some times happens is that we have a
reporter whose expectations on the punishment formed
by personal conviction or experience of a different
judicial system
are not met, and who then idiotically concludes that
the court must have special sympathy for the
perpetrator.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland