[lit-ideas] Re: Londonistan

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:39:04 -0500

Simon: What is it with Europe that Americans so want to get their teeth stuck into it?

Probably a lot of things, Simon. One popular complaint is that, as global hegemon, the US gives Europe a free ride in military matters. You get to build up your social infrastructure while we have to throw so much money into defense--our defense and yours. For example, why should the US have to deal with the Balkans? It's your (EU's) backyard. Same with Iraq. As a united European entity, the EU should have military responsibilities on par with its GNP.

Instead, the UK is the only EU nation advanced enough to coordinate its naval and air forces with ours, and the UK is the only nation with powerful and sophisticated land forces. Instead the US has to be the global hit-man, while most of the EU lives rent-free in its comfortable mafia neighborhood.

But the MAIN concern is that (because of your internal policies) Islamic terrorists will use Europe more and more as staging grounds for attacks on the US. If Mexican illegals used Arizona as a staging ground for attacks on Brussels...well you get the point.

Otherwise, as self-appointed spokesman here, I would venture that the US feels intense solidarity with the EU for cultural reasons. And as the EU and USA move apart for economic and geopolitical reasons, there is a feeling of nostalgia and post-bellum resentment.