[lit-ideas] Re: Londonistan

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:19:07 -0000

Apologies first to Lit-Ideas readers for the use of the vernacular.

Lawrence you are talking bollocks!

As we like to say over here from time to time.

"You should read how the Muslims getting away with almost anything they like
and the judges and cops are letting them so as not to seem racist."

Read what? A US author like Bauer or Berlinski? I'm amazed by their conception
of immigration policy when the US has such a problem with illegal immigration.
A problem, that is, until it props up the economy.

Without going into specifics though, I'm wondering whether this is all part of
an agenda. Not on Lawrence's part, that would be too flattering, but on a wider
scale.

What is it with Europe that Americans so want to get their teeth stuck into it?

What about history? No, that's too sensitive.

Politics? Enough said.

Competition perhaps? Europe's population has grown, its market is larger than
it was, its buying power has increased, and it now has a unified currency
(except for Britain). A larger market than the US, with its own currency and a
very developed and rich set of markets - or single market.

But that puts the emphasis on the positive aspects of Europe. On the reverse
side of the coin are the negative aspects of the US. Increasing debt,
diminishing healthcare coverage, overvaluation of the US Dollar, loss of jobs
to foreign markets, diminishing freedoms....

It's interesting that amongst the latest British immigrants are...Americans.

Simon