[lit-ideas] Re: Londonistan

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:16:29 -0500

Above the blog article Lawrence cited is an interesting story of censorship at the Telegraph in the name of ... who can say?

I checked the "Islamophobia Watch" Web site for their explanation of why the Telegraph article was censored. (Surely it's in their interest to explain, I thought.) They give none, but instead say the editor was sacked because the Telegraph's circulation dropped. Guess even they can't spin it.

http://whataretheysaying.powerblogs.com/posts/1142024149.shtml_________

In an article written for the London Telegraph,
Dr. Patrick Sookhdeo says:

     "You have to distinguish between ordinary
Muslims and their self-appointed leaders,"
explains Dr Sookhdeo. "I agree that the best hope
for our collective future is that the majority of
Muslims who have grown up here have accepted the
secular nature of the British state and society,
the division between religion and politics, and
the importance of allowing people to choose freely
how they will live."

According to the Telegraph, Dr. Sookhdeo is a
secular Briton. According to Islamophobia Watch,
Dr. Sookhdeo is a Nazi and an Islamaphobe.

Islamophobia Watch also labels Hirsi Ali as a
right-wing "provocateur"

The Telegraph believed that an article about Dr.
Sookhdeo's criticism of some Muslim leaders and
their efforts to bring Sharia to the UK, titled
'The day is coming when British Muslims form a
state within a state' should be published.

Someone with influence disagreed. The article has
now been pulled from the Telegraph's website, for
"legal reasons"

It was also removed from Google's cache. It is,
however, still in Yahoo's cache. It's also
reprinted in parts here, here here and here: